Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bay Area news crews and journalists working in danger.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57605166/san-francisco-bay-area-tv-news-crews-hit-by-series-of-brazen-robberies/

"...Bay Area television stations, including KPIX, regularly hire security guards for news crews in areas that pose a security risk, especially in light of the numerous recent incidents. The bulk of the previous incidents, however, have happened in Oakland, where journalists have been robbed and accosted, some in the middle of the day, reports the San Francisco Chronicle....Among the most brazen incidents, according to The Guardian, happened when "a KPIX crew was filming outside a school in Oakland at noon and were live on air when five men descended on them and grabbed the camera from their tripod."(Watch a recording of what viewers saw at left.)

The reporter was allegedly punched in the face before the robbers sped off in a Mercedes.

Last month a different TV news crew was "robbed at gunpoint of its camera equipment in West Oakland, with journalists made to prostrate themselves on the ground as the assailants fled."..."


I've lived and worked in Oakland CA as a journalist. I've also lived and worked elsewhere. One of those making comment at this article said:

"Oakland, reporters should go someplace safer like Afghanistan."

Really?

I have walked the streets of Oakland at night (going to and from a job) as a middle aged white female and felt safer than I do in my own hometown of Melbourne Australia. I've also taken a train at night (even midnight) in the area and felt safer than I have elsewhere: The sheer numbers of people around make a difference.

I wouldn't necessarily anybody do these things as an exercise, I had become known as a local not a visitor. But there are areas in every city one is sensible to avoid!

I don't believe it's Oakland who are the problem and mine is an informed opinion having got to know the city and its people over years. My perception is that it's the media who have a massive image problem.

Let me ask my readers a simple question. How do you regard the "media"? What is your opinion of "the media"?

Now let me ask you. What are the media (who represent "everyman" and "everywoman") required to be in your estimation?

Are they/we required to both cover and carry the world?

Ellen 0:?
Ellen F. Walker

No comments: